Re: Yet another relational programming language

From: Vadim Tropashko <vadimtro_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 13:36:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 25, 1:02 pm, Troels Arvin <tro..._at_arvin.dk> wrote:
> Vadim Tropashko wrote:
> >http://vadimtropashko.wordpress.com/relational-programming-with-qbql/
>
> I must admit that relational lattices sound rather scary to me; but maybe
> some further reading on the subject could cure that.
>
> The concept of infinite sets is interesting. Has this ever been tried in
> relational databases before? Once in a while I've found myself in a
> situation where I would like to join with a virtual table defined by some
> function/iterator which can generate working days (i.e. not holidays,
> Saturdays and Sundays), but that seems like a no-go in all DBMSes I've
> seen (unless I've overlooked something).

I admit, this is not the most accessible introduction. If I wanted to popularize QBQL to wider audience, Relational Lattice and System R should not be mentioned at all. Perhaps, OOP angle should be leveraged more?

As for virtual tables, those are SQL table functions? Kludgy, (like the rest of the SQL) but working? Received on Tue Aug 25 2009 - 22:36:29 CEST

Original text of this message