Re: Hugh Darwen's free book

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 03:30:37 -0300

paul c wrote:

> He has turned his course text into a free book at:
>
> http://bookboon.com/uk/student/it/an-introduction-to-relational-database-theory
>
> It is rather unique, being more self-contained and therefore
> approachable than many other books on the subject, also short and
> unconventionally daring in places. Most of all, he takes a lot of care
> to emphasize the logical basis of the theory and how it connects with an
> implementation language.

I cannot read that sort of material online, and I cannot be bothered to print out the PDF with all of the colour advertisements in it. It would cost as much in ink as the price of a textbook in any case.

While I like the idea of getting good texts to people at reasonable costs and while I like the idea of good authors making money from their work, I don't think the bookboon model works well. Received on Sun Aug 23 2009 - 01:30:37 CDT

Original text of this message