Re: Hierarchical data models

From: Tegiri Nenashi <tegirinenashi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 10:16:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 16, 3:09 am, Nilone <rea..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems to me that these organizational structures can be modeled as
> trees where every node is typed and every node can have children, but
> the parent/child relationship is not an attribute of the type of the
> parent.  The entire tree forms a domain such that valid values of the
> domain are paths from the root of the tree to any leaf.
>
> If you take the types and values of the nodes through which such a
> path passes / is constructed, you get something that looks like a
> tuple, except that the presence of certain attributes depends on the
> values of other attributes.
>
> I see some resemblance to parsing regular expressions.

That would be XML -- a robust and well established data model applied universally to any problem.

So are you looking into theory of parsing? This one has been developed in little to none database context, of course. Or is it transitivelike  query of binary relation in database context (http:// en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchical_model)? Received on Sun Aug 16 2009 - 19:16:37 CEST

Original text of this message