Hierarchical data models

From: Nilone <reaanb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 03:57:17 -0700 (PDT)

I'm looking for any references, discussion or theory about hierarchical models for situations such as residential addresses, geopolitical subdivisions, corporate structures, military ranks, file systems, type systems, etc.

I'm specifically interested in models that can recognize partial correlations between subtrees, e.g. most/all countries have cities, although there may be intermediate groupings or divisions such as states, counties, provinces, territories, blocks, municipalities, etc. Same with task-specific teams in corporate and military structures.

We all have to deal with such hierarchies, but is there a theory for it? Received on Fri Aug 14 2009 - 12:57:17 CEST

Original text of this message