Re: WWW/Internet 2009: 2nd CFP until 21 September

From: TroyK <cs_troyk_at_juno.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:24:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 10, 3:13 pm, "Walter Mitty" <wami..._at_verizon.net> wrote:
> "paul c" <toledobythe..._at_oohay.ac> wrote in message

> > Walter Mitty wrote:
> >> So I return to my original question.  Is XML simply a machine
> >> representation of data, or is it an alternative to the relational view of
> >> data?  Another related question is, can you represent relational data in
> >> an XML document? Is anything gained or lost by doing so?
>
> > Since those originators admit that it isn't a universal format, that would
> > eliminate it as an alternative to an RM, without even considering the
> > other omissions.  As for representation, that word suggests some agreement
> > as to context/subject, so I would say it's not even a machine
> > representation but rather a way record some agreed-upon tree and nothing
> > more.  If the xml people stepped up to the plate, they would need to
> > specify its operations, which I suspect would be as idiosyncratic as those
> > of IMS,IDS,IDMS etc.  Instead they cop out with:  "A program can then
> > recognize this document as a customer order and do whatever it needs to
> > do: display it one way or display it a different way or put it through a
> > bookkeeping system or make a new shirt show up on your doorstep tomorrow."
> > Ie., basically the anthropo-phrase, "whatever it needs to do" is
> > valley-girl talk - the XML operations are "whatever!".
>
> Thanks, but you're getting ahead of me.  I wasn't really asking if it was a
> viable alternative to RM.  Not yet.  First I wanted to get clear on whether
> it's even a proposed alternative.
> If it's not, and if it's just a machine representation,  then there's really
> no point in comparing RM and XML.  If it is a potential alternative to RM,
> then the next question one might ask is how it compares to RM.  I'm not
> there yet.
>

> > (Also, regarding data transmission, it's a pretty fat format.)- Hide quoted text -

It looks like some consider(ed?) it (XML) an alternative to RM: http://www.tdan.com/view-articles/5183

"This article will consider to what extent they [earlier cited assertions about XML] are true. It will also present XML as a reasonable data model with characteristics of special interest. "

TroyK Received on Tue Aug 11 2009 - 23:24:16 CEST

Original text of this message