Re: WWW/Internet 2009: 2nd CFP until 21 September

From: Walter Mitty <wamitty_at_verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 13:15:05 GMT

<natty2006_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:3a3d0351-bf1d-40fa-9408-d58248c591e0_at_f10g2000vbf.googlegroups.com...

quote:
* Topics related to WWW/Internet are of interest. These include, but are not limited to the following areas:

Web 2.0
- Collaborative Systems

  • Social Networks
  • Folksonomies
  • Enterprise Wikis and Blogging
  • Mashups and Web Programming
  • Tagging and User Rating Systems
  • Citizen Journalism

Semantic Web and XML
- Semantic Web Architectures

  • Semantic Web Middleware
  • Semantic Web Services
  • Semantic Web Agents
  • Ontologies
  • Applications of Semantic Web
  • Semantic Web Data Management
  • Information Retrieval in Semantic Web

unquiote.

I'm interested in the idea of XML and the semantic web. In particular, I'm interested in comparing this with the following idea, namely that the relational data model is a useful one for viewing data in transit between two systems connected by a network like the internet. Codd briefly mentioned this topic in a single paragraph in the 1970 paper. I do not not what Codd, Date and others have written on the subject since.

Anyway, I'm interested in whether XML falls under the topic of machine representation of the data and is therefore neither compatible nor incompatible with a relational view of data. Or whether XML is an alternative tro the relational view of data, and therefore one that should be compared with the relational view of data with regard to benefits and drawbacks.

The relational view of data as regards data in transit over a network extends the scope of discussion of the relational model beyond the scope contemplated in 1970. The discussion in 1970 and for many years afterwards focussed on the application of the relational model to the organization of data banks for large scale sharing of data. Large scale sharing of data is increasingly being carried out by shipping data over the network from one system to another. Any databases involved are in the background.

If the relational view of data were to acheive the dominance in data transfer that it has acheived in databases, there would then be only one area left to tackle, namely the application of the relational view of data to data encapsulated within an object or a system. Received on Mon Aug 10 2009 - 15:15:05 CEST

Original text of this message