Re: Why is "group by" obligatory in SQL?

From: Walter Mitty <wamitty_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 03:43:51 GMT

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:4a6a067c$0$23753$9a566e8b_at_news.aliant.net...
> paul c wrote:
>
>> Bob Badour wrote:
>>
>>> Your response leaves me wondering whether you know what irony I meant
>>> and wondering what irony you mean.
>>
>> I'd say the basic one is that most language designers pretend to depict
>> reality, most users then look on the result as reality.
>
> The irony I meant was Dijkstra coined the term "structured programming".
> You praised Dijkstra and then criticized structured programming. I realize
> the market corrupted and perverted the term, but I enjoyed the irony.
>
> The market also corrupted and perverted the term "separation of concerns",
> which Dijkstra called an austere mental discipline.

You might be able to come up with a shorter list, namely the lists of truly meaningful terms
that have NOT been corrupted and perverted by would be followers..

"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken,   Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools, Or see the works you gave your life to, broken, And stoop and build 'em up with worn out tools,"

     --Kipling-- Received on Sat Jul 25 2009 - 05:43:51 CEST

Original text of this message