Re: Why is "group by" obligatory in SQL?

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 20:34:08 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:
> paul c wrote:
>

>> Bob Badour wrote:
>>
>>> Your response leaves me wondering whether you know what irony I meant
>>> and wondering what irony you mean.
>>
>> I'd say the basic one is that most language designers pretend to
>> depict reality, most users then look on the result as reality.

> The irony I meant was Dijkstra coined the term "structured programming".
> You praised Dijkstra and then criticized structured programming. I
> realize the market corrupted and perverted the term, but I enjoyed the
> irony.

Ha, I must have forgotten that, never could get used to that language he used, was it Pascal? Past a certain age, most people are stuck with whatever they grew up with.

> The market also corrupted and perverted the term "separation of
> concerns", which Dijkstra called an austere mental discipline.

Hardly anything is what's it's called anymore. Somebody was telling me this a.m. that BC is 'harmonizing' sales tax. When I looked closer, it appears to be instead, a tax increase. Nothing harmonious about that ! Received on Fri Jul 24 2009 - 22:34:08 CEST

Original text of this message