Re: Difference between catalog and metadata?

From: jefftyzzer <jefftyzzer_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 21:24:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 21, 5:22 pm, Digital Puer <digital_p..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm doing a little research into database metadata for various
> products like DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, and MySQL. I want
> to learn about where information on tables and views are stored.
>
> What is the difference between the system catalog and
> metadata? Is one a superset of the other?
>
> Which one of them contains logical and physical information
> on the tables and views (e.g. how they are partitioned,
> the schemas, etc.)?
>
> Is there a SQL / ANSI standard on what information should
> be stored in the catalog / metadata?

Re:

> Is there a SQL / ANSI standard on what information should
> be stored in the catalog / metadata?

The SQL-92 standard specified the INFORMATION_SCHEMA schema. AFAIK, among only SQL Server implemented it (to what degree I can't say). You can find more here: http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~shadow/sql/sql1992.txt

--Jeff Received on Wed Jul 22 2009 - 06:24:39 CEST

Original text of this message