Re: Entity and Identity

From: Tegiri Nenashi <TegiriNenashi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 09:45:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 20, 8:51 am, "Walter Mitty" <wami..._at_verizon.net> wrote:
> ... O-R mapping problem ...

A persistent topic indeed (pun intended).

A conventional wisdom is that object encapsulation hides its field values (state), while relation exposes tuple attributes. Instead, objects are equipped with some nebulous behavior. I suggest that until we successfully formalize the latter not much progress is expected. Each object method is a function, and function is a relation constrained with functional dependency. So, if we map a "naked" object into a relation, then the encapsulated counterpart should map into a set of relations... Received on Mon Jul 20 2009 - 18:45:06 CEST

Original text of this message