Re: Using the RM for ADTs

From: Brian Selzer <>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 14:26:15 -0400

"paul c" <> wrote in message news:4jK5m.34258$Db2.18180_at_edtnps83...
> Walter Mitty wrote:
>> I'm guessing that, at the database level, I probably do conflate
>> identification with identity. ...
> Walter, where's the conflation? The two words involve the same notion.

No. They don't. What identifies something is the minimal set of properties that serves to distinguish it from everything else in the same context. Things that are identical have exactly the same properties in every possible context.

> (it is probably impossible to talk intelligibly about this with anybody
> who believes that a tuple can somehow have different values at different
> times.)

I never said that a value can have different values at different times. That is just ludicrous.

Do you really think that by repeatedly attacking my credibility by misrepresenting my position will in any way bolster your own credibility? It does just the opposite: it emphasizes the feebleness of your own argument that you have to resort to the tactics of sleazy liberal politicians--misrepresentation, misdirection, obfuscation, and outright deception. Received on Fri Jul 10 2009 - 20:26:15 CEST

Original text of this message