Re: Using the RM for ADTs

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 06:13:44 -0400

"David BL" <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au> wrote in message news:095c8b9d-eb68-4a39-acdf-942d5db07b2e_at_y10g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
> On Jul 3, 12:58 pm, "Brian Selzer" <br..._at_selzer-software.com> wrote:
>> "David BL" <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote in message
>

>> > Consider a node to which n components are connected and n is large.
>> > Using pairwise connections can either be exceedingly arbitrary (by
>> > only representing n-1 pairs) or it makes for enormous redundancy (by
>> > representing all n(n-1)/2 pairs).
>>
>> > I think this is much worse that the symmetry problem with resistors.
>>
>> I see your point, but I still think that assigning components artificial
>> identifiers is better: the unordered pairs could be replaced with or
>> preprocessed into a single set per node prior to the determination of
>> isomorphism. For example,
>>
>> {resistor1:lead1,capacitor2:lead1,transistor1:lead2}
>>
>> discribes a node that connects a resistor and a capacitor to the base of
>> transistor.
>>
>> The above contains the same information as the unordered pairs
>>
>> {{resistor1:lead1,capacitor2:lead1},
>> {resistor1:lead1,transistor1:lead2}}
>>
>> without either the arbitrariness or the redundancy you seek to avoid.
>
> I cannot tell which approach is better. Anyway, the point I find
> interesting is that in both cases nesting can ensure the schema meets
> the given requirements for logical equivalence of circuit values.

I think that this is the perfect counterexample to some of the myths that are perpetuated here on cdt. It illustrates valid uses of both artificial identifiers and nesting. I think one would be hard pressed to come up with a solution that doesn't involve the use of artificial identifiers. The nesting can, of course, be dispensed with through the introduction of additional artificial identifiers. Received on Sat Jul 04 2009 - 12:13:44 CEST

Original text of this message