Re: Object-oriented thinking in SQL context?

From: Cimode <>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 00:54:19 -0700 (PDT)

> > This is a place of public speech about database science
> No, that's what it's supposed to be.
Now that is a common ground. Do you accept the fact that there maybe different ways to do that ?

> In fact, though, this "place" is
> nothing more than a claque for Fabian Pascal, Chris Date and Hugh
> Darwen, and a fortification against the advancement of useful new data
> management theories (an oxymoron here, naturally) populated by
> sclerotic epigones of those guiding lights just listed.
To be qualified as *useful*, a data management theory must stand on its own feet and be subjected to public scrutiny. This place also allows that. I do not believe on the contrary that people who devoted their life to database management feel it as a claque since they are focus their energies on finding truth.

> > Personal attacks...are to be avoided as much as possible
> Agreed. In this case, it wasn't possible. Just like it wasn't possible
> every time Badour called someone an idiot (often a "self-aggrandizing"
> one), moron, twit or asshole, or when you called someone a chicken
> shit.
If you feel offended by BB or others, just ignore him or others (as simple as that). I do not recall calling anybody *chicken shit* and since I do not ever recall using this specific expression, I would be glad if you could post where I said it. But I admit I can get pretty frustrated and offended by the *I am ignorant and proud to be* attitude of some people who are not aware of their limits as far as database theory is concerned. Since I find that attitude very offensive and disrespectful, I can understand how reactions may go over the edge whith people who promote this attitude.

> >neither eloquence nor mumbo jumbo could be reasonnable substitutes for substance.
> Sure--that's what postmodern literary theory is for.
I am sorry I am not following you.

> Anyhow, I look
> forward to more substance here on such clearly related topics as
> electrons, Clinton, Iraq, and speculations on whether a given poster's
> first language is English.
I believe I agree with that as I can see how this thread has gone off topic. What I meant by substance is database theory substance. Received on Thu Jun 11 2009 - 09:54:19 CEST

Original text of this message