Re: Natural keys vs Aritficial Keys

From: paul c <>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 19:12:08 GMT

David BL wrote:
> When you said the idea of sub-variables is mysterious, I thought
> that's great because my main interest in posting was to see whether
> the idea made sense and I wanted to have a discussion about it. I
> thought the functional dependency idea was quite interesting, and I'm
> curious to understand how it relates to the concept of a derived
> relvar. Unfortunately you don't seem interested in engaging in a
> conversation. Please, I would rather if you did.

I'm more interested in progess than conversation. The first thing you need to do is reduce your vocabulary so that it's clear what you mean, best to stick with a relational vocabulary to start with (and I don't mean that silly dictionary that used to get updated here, growing like topsy, just a crutch for people too lazy to think). As for the above, functional dependencies have to do with relations, relvars have to do with language implementation. Not all languages require relvars, eg., functional languages, so as such relvars aren't essential to the minimal theory. These are two examples of mixing up concepts, life is too short to enumerate them all. Received on Fri May 29 2009 - 21:12:08 CEST

Original text of this message