Re: Row-level security?

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 18:23:57 +0100

In message <0cKdnccy8YNgXoPXnZ2dnUVZ8vWdnZ2d_at_pipex.net>, Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat> writes
>lawpoop wrote:
>
>> On May 28, 12:29 pm, Roy Hann <specia..._at_processed.almost.meat> wrote:
>>

>>> One can imagine various workarounds for DBMSs that don't know or can't
>>> provide the value of USER, but you would still really need only one view
>>> for all.
>>
>> I am only familiar with such databases that can't provide the value
>> for USER, so that's why I thought a separate view for each user.
>
>We are veering swiftly into a product-specific area that might best be
>dealt with in the relevant product-specific group. What product are you
>using, just out of curiosity?

There is also a need to understand what operating systems need to be supported. Most Windows and UNIX variants have support for scripts that can read the ID of the user currently logged in. I'm not aware of any major database that can't make use of this information in some way.

Cross-platform support could be a lot trickier to implement though.

--
Bernard Peek