Re: Natural keys vs Aritficial Keys

From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn_at_garlic.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 00:35:48 -0400

paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> writes:
> VAX died for other reasons, not that one. One I can remember is DPL
> which stood for "Dennis' Programming Language". Probably the Beaver
> was into it too.

mid-range market got overtaken by workstations and growing sophisticated PCs ... old post with VAX sales sliced & diced by model, year, US/non-US:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002f.html#0

mid-range 370s (43xx) competed with VAX in the same mid-range market and saw similar growth and fall-off ... although 43xx actually out-sold VAXs, in part because of large customer accounts that would order 43xx machines in units of hundreds at a time.

the followon to the 4341 was the 4381 ... which was expecting to see similar explosion in number of machines sold ... but by the time 4381 came out ... the mid-range market was already starting to be taken over, as lower-end machines (workstations and PCs) were moving up (taking over the mid-range market).

the following post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002f.html#1

quotes from a jan88 "dec professional" article about OLTP in vax cluster ... and the overhead cost of the (vaxcluster) distributed lock manager.

one of the things I did when starting work on DLM for HA/CMP was talk to sybase and ingres about shortcomings in vaxcluster DLM and worked on mechanisms to minimize the overhead (as well as drastically reducing the recovery time) misc. past posts mentioning ha/cmp http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hacmp

--
40+yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970