Re: Natural keys vs Aritficial Keys

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 18:51:37 -0300

Michael Schuerig wrote:

> Roy Hann wrote:
>

>>Michael Schuerig wrote:
>>
>>>Would you say that these principal functions are essential for, say,
>>>blogs, wikis, or social networking sites such as Flickr?
>>
>>To repeat, no one here says synthetic keys are always wrong.  Those
>>things you list may well benefit from them.

> Bob Badour just wrote in response to me:
>

>>If you need to manage data, it's stupid to cripple the primary functions
>>of the data management system which is exactly what ORMs and rails do.
>>The concept is fundamentally flawed. I am not going to counter basic
>>ignorance piecemeal. Go learn the fundamentals and then come back.

> I took him as claiming exactly what you say no one does claim.
>
> EOD for me, it's going nowhere.

Don't put words in my mouth, idiot. What I said says exactly what I said: no more and no less. ORMs and rails cripple the primary functions of a data management system: the integrity function and the manipulation function for a start. If one has a need for data management, it is incredibly stupid to cripple those functions.

My statement says nothing about choosing keys.

I repeat: If one doesn't have a need for data management, one ought to discuss that somewhere it is relevant and on-topic--not here. If anyone is talking past anyone, it is you. Is there an application that has no need for data management? I neither know nor care. The topic is out of scope in a data management forum.

If you want to get started on a basic education, the design criteria for choosing keys are: uniqueness, irreducibility, simplicity, stability and familiarity. The answer to: "Simplicity is a design criterion" is "Well, duh!" That doesn't address the other 4 criteria nor does it address the frequent conflicts among the criteria. Go away and learn. Come back when you get a clue. Received on Thu May 21 2009 - 23:51:37 CEST

Original text of this message