Re: Natural keys vs Aritficial Keys

From: Bob Badour <>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 14:20:50 -0300

Michael Schuerig wrote:

> Bob Badour wrote:

>>Michael Schuerig wrote:
>>>Bob Badour wrote:

>>The appropriate tool for data management is a data management system.
>>Among the principal functions of a data management system are the
>>integrity function and the manipulation function. Compensating for the
>>loss of the integrity function is a tall order that neither rails nor
>>any ORM even begin to fill.

> Would you say that these principal functions are essential for, say,
> blogs, wikis, or social networking sites such as Flickr?

Only if they have data to manage and only if they want to work reliably and well.

>>Your suggestion that these products have anything that even remotely
>>begins to compensate for the loss of the integrity function merely
>>tells us you are ignorant of that function in the first place and
>>confirms the OP's suggestion regarding a lack of understanding.

> No, we're talking at cross-purposes and you're unwilling to acknowledge
> it, insisting that your constraints apply always and everywhere.

Unwilling? If you don't need to manage data, don't use a data management system. In which case, I suggest you post in a newsgroup unrelated to data management.

If you need to manage data, it's stupid to cripple the primary functions of the data management system which is exactly what ORMs and rails do. The concept is fundamentally flawed. I am not going to counter basic ignorance piecemeal. Go learn the fundamentals and then come back. Received on Thu May 21 2009 - 19:20:50 CEST

Original text of this message