Re: Natural keys vs Aritficial Keys

From: Michael Schuerig <michael_at_schuerig.de>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 16:34:24 +0200

Bob Badour wrote:

>>>In all cases, the problem seems to be a lack of understanding.

>> Here you appear to take a shortcut in the argument. Would you mind to
>> elaborate?
>>
>> Lack of understanding on whose part? Are you sure you're not
>> mistaking a trade-off between ease of development, given the
>> constraints of a specific platform, and adherence to data modeling
>> principles as lack of understanding? I can be fully aware of doing
>> something wrong, but do it nevertheless when it is the less wrong of
>> two wrong alternatives.
>>
>> Michael
>
> Mindless, automatic use of a numeric id without regard to the logical
> requirements is NEVER the lesser evil.

Where do you get the "mindless"? Innuendo instead of argument, I gather.

If you're sure you are right, I'd like to know your reasoning why it is always bad to use a tool that encourages numeric ids, notwithstanding the advantages that tool might provide in other regards.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael_at_schuerig.de