Re: Natural keys vs Aritficial Keys

From: --CELKO-- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 06:49:04 -0700 (PDT)

>> And I'm sure there are lots of small businesses that don't have a DUNS. <<

You can get one for free. In the commercial world, this is like those website that tell people to get a free email when they need a customer id. I had to get one as an individual when I taught classes at DELL.
>> So you're going to build an app with 100 forms using a text editor?   I'm not. <<

I don't understand that comment. Since I am the database guy, I don't build application code at all! My job is to assure that

  1. the database is accurate and current internally (hence constraints and business rules are my job)
  2. able to communicate with external data sources (hence the need for industry standards. subscriptions to external data sources)
  3. able to present data to the front end (report server, analytic server, host programs regardless of language)