Re: Natural keys vs Aritficial Keys

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 19:31:27 -0400

<cimode_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1e18db80-b98e-48bf-b62e-bf1b8e44014f_at_21g2000vbk.googlegroups.com...
> <Some design decisions involve a trade off between ease of development
> now and ease of
> data management later on>
> Only poor design decisions impose such tradeoffs. Respecting
> fundamentals of database management can only make development easier
> to create and administer on a continuous basis. Even on non
> relational systems such as SQL DBMS's.

I disagree that it is only poor design decisions that impose such tradeoffs. You may be faced with the dilemma of biasing a database toward a particular application, which just happens to be the application you're responsible for, or expending extra man-hours making your application conform to an unbiased database. Received on Sun May 17 2009 - 01:31:27 CEST

Original text of this message