Re: Natural keys vs Aritficial Keys

From: Michael Schuerig <michael_at_schuerig.de>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 23:38:30 +0200

Walter Mitty wrote:

> What I don't get is whether I've understood something that today's
> trendsetters never learned or whether they are taking into
> consideration matters that I never considered important, back in the
> day.

I suggest you look closely at the URLs displayed in your browser when visiting database-backed websites. You'll notice that numeric IDs are ubiquitous. I think that is already a large part of the answer to the question why artificial keys have become prevalent in certain quarters: Meaningless numbers are just very easy to stick into URLs.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael_at_schuerig.de