Re: Natural keys vs Aritficial Keys

From: Tony Toews [MVP] <>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 19:47:37 GMT

--CELKO-- <> wrote:

>>> Consider business name. Duplicate business names can exist in adjacent provinces,
>states or countries. <<
>Ever look up the DUNS? It is great for International use. Again, do
>your Google Diligence, do your Wikipedia Diligence.

And I'm sure there are lots of small businesses that don't have a DUNS.

>>> I'm quite happy with an artificial primary key (autonumber in Access) and unique
>indexes in data fields [sic: columns are not fields] as appropriate.
>The Department of Redundancies Department, just like Monty Python :)
>Multi-column keys are quite easy to use with a text editor.

So you're going to build an app with 100 forms using a text editor? I'm not.

>that you don't name them all "id" in violation of basic data modeling

No, I like usingTony's Table and Field Naming Conventions   Which you have stated quite a while ago you don't like. Oh well.

Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony's Main MS Access pages -
Tony's Microsoft Access Blog -
Granite Fleet Manager