Re: Natural keys vs Aritficial Keys

From: --CELKO-- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 12:24:32 -0700 (PDT)

>> Consider business name. Duplicate business names can exist in adjacent provinces,
states or countries. <<

Ever look up the DUNS? It is great for International use. Again, do your Google Diligence, do your Wikipedia Diligence.

>> I'm quite happy with an artificial primary key (autonumber in Access) and unique
indexes in data fields [sic: columns are not fields] as appropriate. <<

The Department of Redundancies Department, just like Monty Python :) Multi-column keys are quite easy to use with a text editor. Assuming that you don't name them all "id" in violation of basic data modeling rules. Received on Sat May 16 2009 - 21:24:32 CEST

Original text of this message