Re: Clues on modeling a really simple concept

From: Andy Dingley <dingbat_at_codesmiths.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 04:34:08 -0700 (PDT)

On 6 Apr, 21:01, Spike <fau..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Both galleries and pictures belongs to a single user, but a single
> picture can be used on many galleries.
>
> users --> pictures --> pictures_to_galleries --> galleries
>
> My question is: Should i add a relationship between galleries and
> users?

Yes, because the role in which a picture "belongs" to a user and a gallery "belongs" to a user is likely to be entirely different, thus not modelled through this transitive relation.

If pictures are shareable by galleries, but pictures only "belong" to a single user, then I can only assume from this that "belong" here means some sort of creator or IP owner role. That's sensible, but quite different from the "inclusion in a set" role with galleries.

On the whole, I'd suggest ignoring the database model for the moment and focussing on image metadata, probably beginning with a look at Dublin Core. Once you have a clearer metadata model in your mind, you can think about RDBMS schema to represent it. Received on Wed May 13 2009 - 13:34:08 CEST

Original text of this message