Re: SQL with CTEs Turing Complete?

From: David Fetter <david_at_fetter.org>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 19:58:29 -0500

Tegiri Nenashi <TegiriNenashi_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 4, 1:13 pm, da..._at_fetter.org (David Fetter) wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm curious as to SQL with Common Table Expressions is Turing
>> Complete.  Is there some kind of proof either way?

> What allowed in CTE expression is critical. If recursion is linear

As opposed to mutual recursion?

> and no subqueries are allowed,

Where would they be disallowed?

> then showing that basic SQL (select+project +join+union+CTE) might
> be tough. Otherwise, one can approach the problem by simulating a
> known turing complete cellular automaton (such as rule 110).

Cheers,
David.

--
David Fetter <david_at_fetter.org> http://fetter.org/
Skype: davidfetter      XMPP: david.fetter_at_gmail.com

Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1.
Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw  all powers
from them into the hands of the higher classes.  2. Those who identify
themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and
consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise
depository of the public interests.
                                Thomas Jefferson, letter to Henry Lee
                                August 10, 1824