Re: SQL with CTEs Turing Complete?

From: Tegiri Nenashi <TegiriNenashi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 17:13:23 -0700 (PDT)

On May 4, 1:13 pm, da..._at_fetter.org (David Fetter) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm curious as to SQL with Common Table Expressions is Turing
> Complete.  Is there some kind of proof either way?

What allowed in CTE expression is critical. If recursion is linear and no subqueries are allowed, then showing that basic SQL (select+project +join+union+CTE) might be tough. Otherwise, one can approach the problem by simulating a known turing complete cellular automaton (such as rule 110). Received on Tue May 05 2009 - 02:13:23 CEST

Original text of this message