Re: general design issue

From: skink <pskink_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 00:44:01 -0700 (PDT)

On 23 Kwi, 23:28, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> skink wrote:
>
> > Bob Badour write:
>
> >>Other than being non-standard, what is your objection to using GLOB
> >>'prefix*' ?
>
> > i'm sorry i overlooked GLOB in the previous post. ok gave it a try on
> > my sqlute and results are the same as LIKE: ~1200 ms...
>
> How many distinct items with the same prefix do you have? Presumably you
> have no more than about a couple dozen with the same prefix plus one
> character.
>
> Are the prefixes you use always the same length?

ok, my data is typical english words dictionary. right now i have ~28000 words.

when building it i counted that the number of distinct prefixes is ~105000

prefix here means any substr(WORD, 1, N) where N is len(WORD), an WORD is any word in database

for example for words 'internet' and 'intention' i would have prefixes:

in
int
inte
inten
intent
intenti
intentio
intention

inter
intern
interne
internet

basically idea of my app is that user wants to find some key, lets say its 'internet'.

when it presses that key he/she enters partial key (prefix) like 'i', 'in', 'int', 'inte' etc.

and during that operation i'd like to show only the buttons that lead to valid (existing in database word) Received on Fri Apr 24 2009 - 09:44:01 CEST

Original text of this message