Re: storing survey answers of different data types

From: Joe Thurbon <usenet_at_thurbon.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 00:03:26 GMT

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 03:32:22 +1000, Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:

[...]
> My name is Bob, I have property in Canada, my house is 114 years old.
> {name=Bob,place=Canada,age=114)
>
> Different questionnaires. Different tables. A column for each question.
> A row for each respondent. All described neatly in the system catalog.

My name is Joe, I have property in Australia, my house if 40 years old.

Just wondering, if one of the requirements for a system included something like 'Be able to list all questionnaires', would you still consider one-table-per-questionairre a reasonable design?

I think that there is a more abstract question trying to get out of my head. Maybe it's: 'When relations become things that have facts asserted about them, should one stop treating them as relations, and normalise further?" (where normalise is almost certainly the wrong word, but I'm not sure what the right one is.)

Cheers,
Joe Received on Thu Apr 23 2009 - 19:03:26 CDT

Original text of this message