Re: storing survey answers of different data types

From: lawpoop <>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 07:04:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 21, 12:01 am, Roy Hann <specia..._at_processed.almost.meat> wrote:
> lawpoop wrote:
> > Is there a
> > 'best' way to solve this problem?
> Yes, but no one ever seems to follow the advice.  So before we use
> up any of our finite and dwindling lifetime typing it out for you, do
> you promise to follow the advice?

Can you just copy and paste the solution? Or post a link?

If it's so great, why doesn't anyone ever seem to follow it? I'm not interested in the hacky methods that I've thought of so far. If it is demonstrably better, I'll use it :)

I'm supremely uninterested in wasting your time. If you give me a few keywords, I'll google the solution and do all the heavy lifting of explaining it to myself.

> This is a programming problem not a database design problem. Even
> an SQL DBMS can handle this problem very easily.  In fact this is, in
> miniature, exactly the kind of problem relational/SQL databases were
> conceived to solve.  To apply the 'best' solution you will have to write
> one moderately complicated program that will read the database metadata
> but it will work for all future questionnaires. I am not being
> euphemistic or ironic--it will be only moderately complicated.
> So, do you promise?

Oh what the heck. I promise! :) Received on Tue Apr 21 2009 - 16:04:33 CEST

Original text of this message