Re: We're doomed

From: Andy Dingley <dingbat_at_codesmiths.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 09:53:15 -0700 (PDT)

On 1 Mar, 03:34, "Brian Selzer" <br..._at_selzer-software.com> wrote:

> Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  But look at
> the bright side: it means more work for those who can fix the inevitable
> screw-ups.

I'm _tired_ of fixing screwed-up systems where someone let the Head of Marketing define the architecture because they had the biggest space in the carpark / had been with the company the longest. 8-(

How about getting this discipline to the state that Victorian bridge and boiler builders achieved? We're at a point where "best practice" is now pretty good, but lack of financial responsibility in our clients (and the fact that most branches of software kill fewer people than bridges or boilers) means that a liar in a suit still wins the contract, even when everyone knows they're going to fail to deliver it. Received on Wed Mar 25 2009 - 17:53:15 CET

Original text of this message