Re: a union is always a join!

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 09:53:51 -0400

"Walter Mitty" <wamitty_at_verizon.net> wrote in message news:R7qxl.1720$SU3.1350_at_nwrddc02.gnilink.net...

> "Brian Selzer" <brian_at_selzer-software.com> wrote in message
>

>> least not algebraic differences. Once one admits that there are things
>> in the universe of discourse that can appear different at different
>> times, the semantics of insert, update and delete become clear: insert
>> describes the beginning of the path that something travels through time,
>> updates describe milestones along the path that mark changes in
>> appearance, and delete describes the end of the path. So a transition
>> consisting of a delete and an insert that has no apparent effect on the
>> database makes perfect sense because it describes the end of one thing
>> and the beginning of another.
>
> This is mysticism.

What is your definition of mysticism? According to Webster, mysticism is either

  1. the experience of mystical union or direct communion with ultimate reality reported by mystics
  2. the belief that direct knowledge of God, spiritual truth, or ultimate reality can be attained through subjective experience (as intuition or insight) 3a : vague speculation : a belief without sound basis b : a theory postulating the possibility of direct and intuitive acquisition of ineffable knowledge or power

My argument has nothing to do with a mystical union or direct communication with ultimate reality, does not even refer to God, spiritual truth or ultimate reality, nor does it concern the acquisition of ineffable knowledge or power. I don't think there is anything vague about my argument, and it is based upon the premise that there are things in the universe of discourse that can appear different at different times. I personally think that premise is reasonable. If you don't, then I would like to hear your argument. Received on Sun Mar 22 2009 - 14:53:51 CET

Original text of this message