Re: Search efficiency - RDMS search versus free text search

From: <>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:49:05 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 13, 3:10 am, Taras_96 <> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I just had an interesting discussion with a colleague regarding how we
> are implementing search. We allow users to browse resources under a
> list of topics, so for example a list of all resources relating to
> 'cars'. One way of doing this is with a SQL query against the database
> backend:
> SELECT * FROM resources WHERE topic_area = 'cars'
> The actual query is quite a bit more complicated than this (involves
> table joins and the like).

There are two options, both being not particularly great solutions: join index (which is essentially bitmap), and materialized view with index on top.

Performance issue is not a great surprise: databases are solutions for wide range of problems not being particularly great at any of them. They however are infitely more flexible than alternatives. Received on Tue Jan 13 2009 - 12:49:05 CST

Original text of this message