Re: A different definition of MINUS, Part 3

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 11:37:54 -0800

Cimode wrote:
> [Snipped example]
> <<As soon as they started
> making premises, they lost me because it doesn't look like their
> method is anything more than case analysis that have any chances to
> be
> scaled up to practical problems. >>
> Precisely. I would go further as to say that hoping that using solely
> algebra would be sufficient to achieve such resultis nothing more than
> the holy graal of RL. As you mentionned in an earlier post, the
> example of lack of quantifiersi is one major obstacle most current
> DandD work seem to ignore without consequence or awareness of the
> price to pay.
>
> Regards.. .

I think around 1972 Codd wrote a proof that the algebra was logically equivalent to FOPC, later others (I forget their names) corrected a few errors and proved the equivalence. This is why I'm happy to try to show things with the algebra, even though it can be tedious trying to see the forest for the trees. Received on Fri Dec 19 2008 - 20:37:54 CET

Original text of this message