Re: simple db - how am I doing so far?

From: Ed Prochak <>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 05:50:10 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 14, 4:03 pm, wrote:
> Hi, I'm designing a simple database to help out a co-worker.  There
> are some questions I think are worth asking this individual before I
> go any further, but I'd like some feedback on the approach I've taken
> so far.   This database is intended to assist in managing massive
> quantities of sheet music.    Please don't laugh, I'm using MS Access.
> It suits this purpose just fine :)
> (if this is unclear you can view it on my blog
> )
> table: INVENTORY (master)
> auto    text    long int        long int        long int        long int
> table: ARRANGER
> aID     arranger
> auto    text
> table: PUBLISHER
> pID     publisher_name  phone_number
> auto    text    text
> table: GENRES
> gID     genre
> auto    text
> iID     instrument
> auto    text

This has little to do with theory, so you should have posted in comp.databases.

With this design, do you intend to have a row in INSTRUMENTS for every combination?
1 bells
2 flute
3 bells, flute
4 snare drum
5 bells, snare drum
6 flute, snare drum

You should pull instrument out of the inventory table and add a cross reference like this:

sID                      iID
FK to                  FK to

Your need to learn about Normalizing your data model. Look up database normalization.
   Ed Received on Tue Dec 16 2008 - 14:50:10 CET

Original text of this message