Re: Onto a potential relational manipulation language

From: rpost <rpost_at_pcwin518.campus.tue.nl>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 14:17:29 +0000 (UTC)

Cimode wrote:

>A some know and might be interested into, I am currently building a db
>core and currently trying to move forward onto giving it a compiler to
>allow programmers a practical access to relation operations and
>separating relation presentation...
>
>As I am not a language designer, I would be glad if someone would
>provide a feedback as to their perception about the below syntax...

Just a general suggestion: I'd seriously consider picking a syntax that is highly compatible with an existing one (e.g. a subset of SQL), even if the semantics vary in places.

This will make it easier for any tool that already supports that language to be extended to support yours. Besides, you mimimize the risk of leaving all kinds of unknown ambiguities and other problems, since many of them will have been avoided there or are at least well known.

--
Reinier