Re: native xml processing vs what Postgres and Oracle offer

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 15:37:58 GMT

Brian Selzer wrote:
> So you're saying that what looks like a rose, smells like a rose--has thorns
> like a rose--isn't a rose?

I'm saying it isn't always a rose (as a number of marriages I've seen prove, not to mention artificial roses). I find it suspicious that various newsreaders resort to graphical devices such as indentations, dotted lines and chevrons to depict a perceived hierarchy. I don't see why authors of those programs shouldn't use relations to depict the concepts they are enamoured with, such as "threads", message order, position and so forth. If the rfc's used relational examples instead of

     dialogues using the very context-sensitive ops such as "next", the specs might be tighter and maybe there would fewer discrepancies in the implemmentations.

Aside: Some of the web-based interfaces look to me as if their authors are stuck in a hierachical rut. Google groups is one of the easier ones to use, seems to have a neat and polished display, but I don't use it because it doesn't seem to have the ability to simply show me the latest messages, regardless of thread. (I hope somebody will point out if I'm wrong about that.) Received on Fri Dec 05 2008 - 16:37:58 CET

Original text of this message