Re: native xml processing vs what Postgres and Oracle offer

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 14:48:46 GMT

paul c wrote:
> Brian Selzer wrote:

>> Does that mean that you now acknowledge the fact that a forum is in
>> essence heirarchical?  ...

> Nope. You can display messages that way, store them that way if you
> insist (I wouldn't), but if your programming operators don't use a
> relational structure or an similarly powerful abstraction/indirection
> (assuming that somewhere, somebody has devised such a thing), you are
> giving up what Codd called symmetric exploitation.

Eg., yesterday, a friend who's used his exotic 220 volt welder at many industrial sites was pulling his hair out trying to wire it up in his house. Various electricians have shown him over the years how to connect the different wire colours in other settings. His basic problem is that nobody taught him an abstract model for basic wiring circuits. Once he gets it working, assuming his house is unburnt, the connections will have no intrinsic understanding of the theory used to make them. But the circuit model is the mental view he must have in order to see that he must connect connect a white wire to a "red" or "black" prong instead of to a "white" prong. Without that, he might as switch to xml programming. Received on Wed Dec 03 2008 - 15:48:46 CET

Original text of this message