Re: native xml processing vs what Postgres and Oracle offer

From: David BL <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:55:21 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 11, 5:20 am, paul c <toledobythe..._at_oohay.ac> wrote:
> whileone wrote:

> > Yes, forum "topic headings" are ordered by date and
> > time. But each topic also has 0 or more child responses, and child
> > be responses to responses, rather than responses to topic headings.
> > That's a tree
> > (a root node with nested children). And a tree is a hierarchy. You
> > do need all those
> > parent/child relationships.
>
> Believe that if you want but there is no guarantee in any forum I've
> ever seen that response n, quoting response n-1, has any relationship to
> say, response n-2, or vice-versa. It might be seen as some kind of
> graph but not necessarily a tree.

If every post apart from the first post for a topic is made in response to a previously existing post then inevitably it is possible to define a tree structure.

Are you suggesting:

  1. that isn't actually the case;
  2. a post shouldn't actually be regarded as a response to some previous post; or
  3. the tree structure can be defined but isn't necessarily pertinent?