Re: native xml processing vs what Postgres and Oracle offer

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 02:36:59 GMT

patrick61z_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> On Nov 10, 3:33 pm, whileone <Sandy.Pittendr..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Nov 10, 1:20 pm, paul c <toledobythe..._at_oohay.ac> wrote:> Forums are *not* inherently hierarchical.  You can choose to present
>>> them that way, but it's not necessary and possibly misleading.
>> Oy yoy yoy.
>> This thread started off by me (with a different reader, different
>> login name)
>> saying "I have a files-based forum that I WROTE that I want to convert
>> to a more database like system."
>>
>> Well, MY FORUM is hierarchical.  I want to preserve that.
>> In my forum every post is either a topic heading, a response
>> directly to a topic heading, or a response to a response.
>>
>> The parent/child relationships are important.
>> I was not at any point referring to usenet.
>> The subject was: forums that happen to be hierarchical,
>> but you had to read too carefully to gather that, perhaps.

> Actually, usenet is often displayed as being hierarchical, for
> instance with so called "threaded" newsreaders, because within a list
> of discussions, replies to replies are often more comprehensible when
> you can follow the subthreads.

Nobody said there's anything wrong with hierarchical displays (or hierarchical physical storage for that matter).

> This is not just your preference, this is a very typical way of
> viewing discussions, if you get any flack from that, its not because
> of the nature of your design, its the fault of the relational
> advocates that get blinded to these sorts of problems for which the
> relational data model is not the optimal solution. As you pointed out,
> even the major vendors are supporting different solutions, any flack
> you'll get is simply from those dogmatic enough to pound every fixture
> with a hammer, even if that particular fixture might be better
> fastened with a screwdriver.
>
> Not everyone with a relational bent is like that, but when posting
> here you sort of have to put up with that particular breed of poster.
> 2 cents.

As the general level of literacy continues to decline more and more of those who fail to recognize the possibility of a logical model will have to put up with that dwindling breed. Received on Thu Nov 20 2008 - 03:36:59 CET

Original text of this message