Re: native xml processing vs what Postgres and Oracle offer

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 20:49:42 GMT

whileone wrote:
> On Nov 10, 1:20 pm, paul c <toledobythe..._at_oohay.ac> wrote:

>> Forums are *not* inherently hierarchical.  You can choose to present
>> them that way, but it's not necessary and possibly misleading.
>>

> Oy yoy yoy.
> This thread started off by me (with a different reader, different
> login name)
> saying "I have a files-based forum that I WROTE that I want to convert
> to a more database like system."
>
> Well, MY FORUM is hierarchical. I want to preserve that.
> In my forum every post is either a topic heading, a response
> directly to a topic heading, or a response to a response.

Have it your way, but that sounds like three distinct relations to me. (That is, if the RM is to be used. Just out of curiousity, what is wrong with two relations, posts that aren't responded to and posts that are responses?)

> The parent/child relationships are important.
> I was not at any point referring to usenet.
> The subject was: forums that happen to be hierarchical,
> but you had to read too carefully to gather that, perhaps.

As we know, it is sadly true that the technocrats will usually tend towards force-fitting an application to their pet programming protocol. Usually, when Joe C's name is mentioned in a theory group, one may safely stop reading. I'll admit there are exceptions, but he can obfuscate with the best of them. Received on Mon Nov 10 2008 - 21:49:42 CET

Original text of this message