Re: native xml processing vs what Postgres and Oracle offer

From: paul c <>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:40:03 GMT

salmobytes wrote:
> Forums are inherently hierarchical and hierarchies are
> tough with relations. I have modeled relational hierarchies in
> the past, with what Joe Celko calls "path enumeration."
> That works, but it's a bit ugly and making indexes on loooong
> path-strings that all start off the same way is messy.

Suggest that it is more accurate to say that forums are typically implemented with hierarchical techniques. It would be even more accurate to say that forums are inherently ordered, eg., by date & time within topic. I don't know what a relational hierarchy could be, but for sure the RM is not concerned with ordering. I suspect you are not talking about real hierarchies but rather about graphical presentation techniques, about which the RM has nothing to say.

The forums I see are concerned with messages but not message content, whereas it is the readers who are concerned with message content, eg., it is the audience who operate on the content, not the system. I think you are talking about using the RM for physical storage, implying that you don't need its inference ability and in the same breath saying that it is ponderous to use the RM to implement ordering. Well, if that's what you mean, yes it is ponderous to use the RM to implement ordering because the RM doesn't support ordering in the first place! Received on Mon Nov 10 2008 - 19:40:03 CET

Original text of this message