native xml processing vs what Postgres and Oracle offer

From: salmobytes <salmobytes_at_closenuf.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 07:17:23 -0700

I'm thinking about starting a hobby project. I wrote a files-based Bulletin Board years ago. I'd like to convert it to a more database-like system, so password-identified users could edit old posts.

Forums are inherently hierarchical and hierarchies are tough with relations. I have modeled relational hierarchies in the past, with what Joe Celko calls "path enumeration." That works, but it's a bit ugly and making indexes on loooong path-strings that all start off the same way is messy.

I'd rather work directly with hierarchies: with XML. For native XML processing you can work with SleepyCat, Exist or even Xindice (or expensive proprietary products like Mark Logic or Ipedo).

But Oracle and Postgres have a way to stuff XML blobs into a column now, and also a way to query with XPath over those XML blobs

The native XML databases (SleepyCat etc) all require running a tomcat server, while postgres is a bit easier to setup and install.

PUNCHLINE QUESTION, sort of.
I've worked with SleepyCat, Exist and Tomcat. It's pretty powerful stuff and it has a lot to offer. Mapping between GUI and data is oh so easy with hierarchies, compared to relations. But what about performance? I've never worked with Oracle/Postgres XML XPath querying. And I've heard rumors it's dog slow above a certain size/traffic threshold.
Any comments? Anybody done much with Postgres/XML? Have any comparisons to SleepyCat? Received on Mon Nov 10 2008 - 15:17:23 CET

Original text of this message