Call for Papers: THE ALBERTO MENDELZON WORKSHOP ON FOUNDATIONS OF DATA MANAGEMENT

From: marenas_at_ing.puc.cl <marcelo.arenas1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 05:18:54 -0800 (PST)

CALL FOR PAPERS THE ALBERTO MENDELZON WORKSHOP ON FOUNDATIONS OF DATA MANAGEMENT May 12--15, 2009, Arequipa, Peru

http://db.cs.ualberta.ca/amw09/

The "Alberto Mendelzon International Workshop on Foundations of Data Management" (AMW 2009) will be held in Arequipa, Peru, between May 12-15, 2009. This will be the first open version of the workshop, of which there were two previous versions before, in Laguna San Rafael, Chile, November 2006 (http://grupoweb.upf.es/bd-web/); and Punta del Este, Uruguay, November 2007
(http://www.fing.edu.uy/inco/grupos/csi/AMW07/).

This is an initiative of the Latin American community of researchers in data management, to which our friend, colleague and mentor Alberto so greatly contributed. In this way we expect to create a periodical Latin America-based venue for high level research in the fundamental aspects of the area. This is a way to honor the memory of Alberto, and to increment and solidify the research in the region. This event, as the previous ones, encourages the participation of Latin American graduate students and develops some activities specially designed for them.

We have chosen a very interesting and attractive location: Arequipa is a beautiful city and many other touristic sites can be easily accessed from there. But more importantly, we want to offer an exciting scientific atmosphere, and receive high level research contributions.

We solicit original submissions on foundational aspects of the following areas (among possibly others) of data management:

algorithms; complexity; computational model theory; concurrency; constraints; data exchange; data integration; data mining; data modeling; data management on the Web; data streams; data warehouses; distributed databases; information retrieval; knowledge bases; logic; multimedia; physical design; privacy; quantitative approaches; query languages; query optimization; real-time data; recovery; scientific data; security; semi-structured data; spatial data; temporal data; transactions; updates; views; workflows; XML.

Paper submissions must be in electronic form using Portable Document Format (.pdf). Papers should be formatted according to the Springer LaTeX2e style llncs for Lecture Notes in Computer Science, which is available at http://www.springer.de/comp/lncs/authors.html. The length should not exceed 10 pages. Papers longer than 10 pages risk rejection without consideration of their merits.

The submissions will be judged for scientific quality and relevance. At least one author of each accepted paper must attend the workshop to present the work. The proceedings will be published in electronic format as a CEUR Workshop Proceedings
(http://ceur-ws.org). For submissions use EasyChair:
http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=amw2009

Important Dates:

Paper submission deadline: January 20, 2009 Notification: March 6, 2009

Program Chairs:

Marcelo Arenas (Computer Science Department, PUC, Chile, marenas_at_ing.puc.cl),
Leo Bertossi (School of Computer Science, Carleton University, Canada, bertossi_at_scs.carleton.ca)

Program Committee:

Marcelo Arenas (PUC Chile, Co-Chair)
Paolo Atzeni (U. Rome 3)
Ricardo Baeza-Yates (Yahoo! Research)
Denilson Barbosa (U. Alberta)
Loreto Bravo (U. Concepcion)
Leo Bertossi (Carleton U., Co-Chair)
Andrea Cali (Oxford U.)
Jan Chomicki (SUNY at Buffalo)
Mariano Consens (U. Toronto)
Thomas Eiter (Tech. U. Vienna)
Ronald Fagin (IBM Almaden)
Enrico Franconi (F.U. Bozen-Bolzano)
Ariel Fuxman (Microsoft Research)
Claudio Gutierrez (U. de Chile)
Carlos Heuser (U.F. Rio Grande do Sul)
Carlos Hurtado (U. Adolfo Ibanez)
Anastasios Kementsietsidis (IBM T.J. Watson) Phokion Kolaitis (IBM Almaden)
Alberto Laender (U.F. Minas Gerais)
Laks Lakshmanan (U. British Columbia)
Georg Lausen (U. Freiburg)
Maurizio Lenzerini (U. Rome ``La Sapienza'') Renee Miller (U. Toronto)
Frank Neven (U. Hasselt)
Andrea Rodriguez (U. Concepcion)
Thomas Schwentick (U. Dortmund)
V.S. Subrahmanian (U. Maryland)
Val Tannen (U. Pennsylvania)
Alejandro Vaisman (U. Buenos Aires)
Victor Vianu (UC San Diego)

Local Arrangements:

Ernesto Cuadros-Vargas (co-chair, UCSP, Peru) Cesar Beltran (co-chair, UNSA, Peru)
Renzo Angles (U. de Chile)
Pablo Barcelo (U. de Chile)
Regina Ticona (UCSP, Peru) Received on Sun Nov 09 2008 - 14:18:54 CET

Original text of this message