Re: Object oriented database

From: David BL <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 17:21:40 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 4, 12:49 am, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Walter Mitty wrote:
> > "David BL" <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote in message

> >>I agree that OO isn't a data model. However, this depends on
> >>sufficiently narrow definitions of OO and data. The definition
>
> >> data = information in a form suitable for machine processing
>
> >>doesn't seem narrow enough to me because objects have state and one
> >>could say that objects represent information.
>
> The fact that objects (specifically object instances) have state and
> variables have state should be a clue to the observant.

It seems like Bob thinks

    variable = object

There are plenty examples of objects that aren't variables. Eg instances of classes like Mutex, PrinterProxy, ThreadPool. Also, instances of GUI classes like Slider and Button are state machines that cannot be interpreted as holding an abstract mathematical value that doesn't exist in time or space.

There seems to be an assumption that an instance of a class (which has members), can be compared to a tuple. That is only the physical implementation of an object. Semantically an object has no need to represent an abstract value at all. Received on Tue Nov 04 2008 - 02:21:40 CET

Original text of this message