Re: Object oriented database

From: Walter Mitty <wamitty_at_verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 15:21:32 GMT

"David BL" <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au> wrote in message news:023ff274-bb72-4b3d-9ec3-234d74b87c77_at_z6g2000pre.googlegroups.com...
> On Nov 2, 8:40 am, JOG <j..._at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> These are the people who are worth discussing data models with
>> because, well, they realise OO isn't one, and they have built another
>> on top as best they could within its constraints.
>
> I agree that OO isn't a data model. However, this depends on
> sufficiently narrow definitions of OO and data. The definition
>
> data = information in a form suitable for machine processing
>
> doesn't seem narrow enough to me because objects have state and one
> could say that objects represent information.

When discussing data with OO people, I think both the OO people and the data centered people focus on the wrong thing. We insist on finding a mapping between data and objects. I think that's the wrong place to start. I think we should start with messages. Every formulation of the OO paradigm starts out by saying that objects collaborate with each other by exchanging messages. Describing messages in terms of data is a whole lot simpler, and less philosophical than describing objects in terms of data. Very very few of the OO people insist that there's some metaphysical difference between messages and data.

Instead of describing a database as a repository of persistent objects, we could describe a database as a repository of persistent messages. These messages are addressed "to whom it may concern", and that raises some issues, but they are fairly mundane issues.

Even Alan Kay, originator of OO programming, has said that he underemphasized messages in his original description of what OOP is all about. And certainly the early years of OOP, OOD, and even OOA were filled with examples of very clever objects reduced to near uselessness by obtuse messaging systems. And the thing that might enable OO systems to scale up better than they do would be a messaging system that can be revised and extended without breaking existing objects.

I don't have all the answers here, or even any of the answers. I'm just trying to get us both started in terms of asking the right questions.