Re: design question

From: <>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 01:06:50 -0700 (PDT)

Walter Mitty wrote:
> <> wrote in message
> >... I prefer to use composite foreign keys instead of
> > surrogates, but that's another problem.
> Composite foreign keys????
> One uses composite foreign keys when the primary key being referenced is a
> composite primary key. That is all.
> Are you sure you don't mean "primary keys made up by composing several
> foreign keys"? Just a guess on my part, since I don't really know what you
> mean.

Sorry, I was in hurry so I was not very clear. I mean some people prefer to use surrogate (primary) keys instead of natural composite keys and then use foreign keys to surrogates just for making joins "faster". A bad idea in my opinion... Received on Tue Oct 28 2008 - 09:06:50 CET

Original text of this message