Re: Modeling question...

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 00:44:06 GMT

toby wrote:
,,,
> Many programs, or parts thereof, reduce to SQL expressions over data.
> Programmers who don't understand RM well tend to under-use it for
> computation. A declarative expression can often elide a lot of
> imperative tedium.

Not that I would know personally but from I read, most programmers (environment designers too) see SQL as a mere storage access method.

It seems the designers of the mainstream programming interfaces/environments where so many developers these days spend the most time such as Javascript, PHP, et al have been just as unenlightened that is to say ignorant. While not exactly mainstream the RDF that JOG decries might be the nadir on the scale. I wonder what would result if one of those designers were forbidden to implement arrays.

Nothing new I guess, it was years ago that I remember criticizing an international multi-location transport system for its myriad (and insufficient) message codes on the grounds that only two operators were really needed, INSERT and DELETE. It could have been seen as a distributed system with disparate db's. All each location really needed to do was send portions of its own "redo" log (the portions being those that applied to certain common tables) to the others and the latter could decide what action, if any, was appropriate for their particular db. This would have had the bonus that much correction work would be saved but the disadvantage of fewer jobs for the boys. It was also considered anathema to send a message that might be ignored. Apparently the Mott's Clamato Juice company tries to think big but I believe the airline industry still thinks operators are people. I know I'm drifting but I can't help observe that the big industries that influence IT trends are often highly regulated which situation may encourage small-minded thinking as well as similar people. Received on Fri Oct 24 2008 - 02:44:06 CEST

Original text of this message