Re: ?? Functional Dependency Question ??

From: paul c <>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 21:28:01 GMT

paul c wrote:

> Bob Badour wrote: ...

>> I think the answer is actually "none of them". If you changed the
>> question slightly to "When there are no purple parts, which
>> suppliers supply all of the purple parts?" then the answer would be
>> "all of them".
> Maybe a useful principle to follow when phrasing db queries out loud
> is to preface all possible parameters with one of the adjectives
> "all" or "any".

or "none of" which might not add any capability but which might make the phrasing more amenable. People who are prone to long sentences, me included, must remember that the rm is what it is, as they say, and no more, so we are on safer ground if we try to talk in language that parallels what it is capable of. There are many honourable modes of language and abstractions of thought that are important to us, but the RM claims to be useful for organizing only a small part.

A quote I like from SICP:

The acts of the mind, wherein it exerts its power over simple ideas, are chiefly these three: 1. Combining several simple ideas into one compound one, and thus all complex ideas are made. 2. The second is bringing two ideas, whether simple or complex, together, and setting them by one another so as to take a view of them at once, without uniting them into one, by which it gets all its ideas of relations. 3. The third is separating them from all other ideas that accompany them in their real existence: this is called abstraction, and thus all its general ideas are made.

John Locke, An Essay Concerning Human Understanding (1690) Received on Wed Oct 22 2008 - 23:28:01 CEST

Original text of this message