Re: ?? Functional Dependency Question ??

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:20:07 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:
> paul c wrote:
>

>> Bob Badour wrote:

>>> The same way DEE works with join.
>>
>> I'm not sure about that.  Maybe I'm being too literal in asking about
>> this, but David B is talking about a mapping that involves values of
>> attributes.  I don't know what the value of "no attribute" is.

> Regardless, it is a value. It can either exist in the relation or not.
> We can test it for equality. What else does one need to know about it?

I can see that the tuple in DEE must have a value, the empty set I presume. But when I think of an empty set of <A,T,V> triples, ie., {}, I'm darned if I can imagine a mental device for preserving a V, concrete or not, that corresponds with an A that isn't present. That's what I was quibbling about in David B's interpretation.

(Maybe I shouldn't drift the topic, but I'm guessing there's no problem with DUM! I guess empty relations never have any problem satisfying relational closure as long as their constraints aren't effectively negations, eg., "IS_EMPTY".) Received on Tue Oct 21 2008 - 19:20:07 CEST

Original text of this message